Skip to main content

DIY home automation, new generation

I've had my DIY home automation system for controlling outlets and reading sensor data running for about two years now. The system has been working fine and I haven't had any need to touch the code since I added the sensor reading to it, until a few months back.

Need for new functionality


Few months ago I got a new IoT toy for a lend from a friend until I'd get my own toys, a ruuvitag sensor beacon. Ever since I found the ruuvitag for the first time from kickstarter I had the idea of getting a bunch of ruuvitags and adding their weather station sensor readings as part of my home automation system.

The original home automation backend included only tellstick compatible devices and was written in Python, and in my mind it was kind of a hack. The ruuvitag beacons communicate via BLE i.e. Bluetooth Low Energy and that meant that I needed to add functionality to read the beacon data via bluetooth.

I found a ruuvitag Python library and initially thought that I'd just use that and extend the existing backend. As I started looking more into the ruuvitag and BLE beacon possibilities I came accross Node.js implementation that would be able to read the beacon data. As I started looking deeper and extended my search within Node.js libraries I also found a telldus library.

I've done some work with Node.js and even though it's not my first go-to choise it seemed that with it I could simplify my existing backend a lot and add the new functionality quite easily.

Backend rewrite


I'm not going to get in details of the backend code as it's basically a REST API that reads sensor data and controls outlets just like the original implementation but here's a link to the backend code and just a few notes about the backend.

The Node.js telldus library uses the native telldus library and is compiled with node-gyp so it needs to compiled on same architecture where the backend is going to be running. The compile time on my original Raspberry Pi was quite long.

The beacon library uses bluetooth library and it has the same restriction as the telldus library.

The readme file contains more information and instructions in case you're interested.

Refresing the UI


The UI of the original home automation system was a vanilla JavaScript experiment and I thought that I should also update that as I already rewrote the backend. This time I chose Vue.js as it's something on the rise and I haven't used it before. Just like with the backend I'm not getting in the details of the code but here's a link to the code and a screenshot.



Wait, what, no tests!


I made a conscious decision not to write any unit or integration tests for this project as without all the hardware (tellstick duo, controllable outlets, bluetooth, ruuvitag) I'd have to mock them and I'm not a big fan of mocks.

Sure i could have written a unit test for parsing the sensor data from the beacon URL but it just didn't seem worth the time and effort as I have manually tested the implementation for hundreds of times while developing.

Integration testing has also been manual while developing and continues to be manual as we use this system daily so I didn't see the need for automating that.

Final thoughts


The rewritten backend of the home automation system seems to be working as reliably as the first generation and I'm really pleased how much cleaner code I got with Node.js.

Vue.js seems to be a viable option at least for small projects like this one.

I already have some ideas how to do some actual automation and analytics based on the sensor data but that's another story.

P.S. I wish my ruuvitags had a light sensor as that would extend the automation possibilities even more.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dedicated time for learning Python at work

In the spring of 2019 I had the opportunity to use some paid work time for learning something new.
I decided to spend the given time to brush up on my Python knowledge. I had some experience in programming with Python but not much and I didn't have a understanding of Python conventions or ecosystem.
Limited time frame I had a limited time frame that was split to four sessions. In addition to the time given for each session I spent at least the same amount of time on preparing each session.
First session, the basics It was quite hard to find a resource that summarised Python basics on a sufficient level but I managed to find Alex Martinelli's slides Python for Programmers from 2007 that contained exactly what I was looking for.
Even though the slides are from over a decade ago and the Python version was 2.x at that time all the information is still applicable to current Python 3.x version as is or with minor changes.
Second session, testing in Python Python has a good support fo…

Automated browser testing in 2018

Every now and then I do some research on browser testing. More specifically I try to find and evaluate what kind of ready to use solutions or libraries have emerged since my previous research or if some of the previously tested solutions has come up with something new.

Back in September 2017 I had some extra time on my hands and I used a couple of days to see what are the new and interesting solutions at that time. I came across some tools that I have used in the past and found two new interesting options in which one stood out.

Say hello to TestCafe
The most interesting solution that I found was called TestCafe. It's a open source Node.js library from a company called Developer Express Inc. They also have a commercial product called TestCafe (confusing) which I haven't tried as the open source library provided everything I was interested in and it seemed to be under active development.

The thing that caught my interest at first was that this library doesn't depend on WebDri…